Saturday, September 5, 2009

I am not a workaholic

I just discovered this about myself. Yeah - about bloody time; That's the reaction I expect from most readers. Hear me out though - and maybe you'll discover something about yourself in the process. After all - this blog is titled "Ethereal Meditations" - so maybe my introspection and reflection will help you as well.

Over the last few months, work has crowded out most of my other priorities. For one reason or another, I haven't been playing any sports, and I never seem to have the time to sit down with a good book like I used to. Of course with an office in Gurgaon that works round the clock and another small team in Hyderabad just cranking up, plus clients in the US, its easy to get sucked into this round-the-clock marathon of work (and email). So finally when we did manage to get to the badminton courts sometime last month, it took only 2 games of singles to wipe me out. I barely made it through the rest of the hour. Came back home sore and walking bowlegged, with body parts hurting and complaining.

Since that painful start, we've now been playing 2-3 times a week, sometimes badminton, sometimes tennis. Its still tough - but the stiffness has started to recede, and some of the coordination and playmaking is returning. Goody.

So what does this have to do with the title? Well - I'm suddenly more relaxed and able to handle situations and people much better. Things at work don't annoy me as much as they used to. Driving in Hyderabad doesn't send my blood pressure shooting off the chart. Thus the epiphany that kicked off this blog post. I am not a workaholic. I enjoy my work (mostly), I like challenges, I work well under pressure, and I (think) I get along well with my customers. But......I don't thrive on stress. I'm not buzzed by working round the clock, nor do I get a thrill talking to or about Hong Kong, Los Angeles and Texas. I need my time off. When I let work run my life I get burnt out rather quickly and my health and attitude suffers. By making time for exercise or cooking, or friends, or reading - or some such activity - I am able to regain my balance and find equilibrium. Which as a Libran (for you astrology freaks) is important to me.

This may still be a - well Duh! - moment for most of you. But I hope you had fun reading. And if even one of you finds your balance after reading my post - pay it forward :)

No comments:

Post a Comment